Self-care is not being selfish. A person must care for and maintain the self for optimal well-being. It seems like a no-brainer. However, one person’s form of care may not work for another person. Every individual must custom-fit the care needed. Some people require less sleep, others require more. For example, some swear by a quick daily nap, others stay up all night after an afternoon siesta. Likewise, Some people swear by practicing meditation, while others spend time at the gym. Other practices are givens, such as eating a well-balanced diet. Here is a general list of what self-care includes.
- Eat a healthy diet
- Get the sleep the body requires
- Exercise or some physical activity (this can mean a daily walk, pulling weeds in the garden, or high-intensity interval training—whatever works)
- Visit the doctor annually
- Meditate or deploy some form of relaxation to reduce stress
- Avoid excessive use of tech devices